Now that you know how to purchase Ripple, you might have one more concern: where to keep it? You need a secure depository for your hard-earned XRP, and in this ultimate guide, we will observe the worthiest solutions for 2019.
Types of Ripple wallets
XRP can be kept in four different ways – each kind of wallet has its peculiarities, advantages, and drawbacks.
Today, this is the safest option you can find. A hardware wallet stores cryptocurrency offline, which protects it against hackers and third parties. Afraid of losing or damaging your device? Most of these gadgets allow the user to recover his digital assets in such events. The main drawback is that you need its physical presence to manage your funds. Besides, such a gadget costs at least $50.
Online wallets are the most common choice of Bitcoin owners: they are free and convenient to use, don’t take up space on the user’s computer, and some allow for multi-currency storage. You can access a web wallet from anywhere with an Internet connection. However, web wallets are far not the safest solution around – they are often associated with hacker attacks.
These solutions are pretty much the same as their web counterparts with one difference: they can only be opened if you have software installed on your PC. Web storage was invented before all other styles of wallets. Desktop XRP depositories are not widely spread today because they require much space on a user’s computer.
These are just pieces of paper where you have private codes written on. Such wallets are often used together with bank deposit boxes where investors store precious papers. Sound silly? Don’t rush to make conclusions – the Winklevoss twins, both famous Bitcoin billionaires, used to keep their private keys in bank deposit boxes.
How to select a solution for XRP storage?
There’s a multitude of factors that matter. An unsafe solution can cost you too much. You don’t want to deal with scammers and cybercriminals, do you? Pay attention to the following crucial aspects:
Who is the team developing the project? Perform your own research and check out who are the people behind the project. Are they experienced enough? What are their previous achievements? Never trust your digital money to unknown development teams. When it comes to such a serious cryptocurrency as Ripple, a well-established reputation means a lot.
Convenience of navigation. UX is another important factor. What if you’re a newcomer in the sphere of crypto? Then you will need a simple intuitive solution. Web depositories are usually the simplest ones to navigate and comprehend.
- Private keys. Wherever you prefer to keep your assets, you should be assured that no third party can get them. The sad truth is that scammers have stolen millions of crypto tokens by making investors share their private keys. But even if you’re smart enough to understand that, the Ripple wallet might appear to be unprotected and underdeveloped. Choose the most reliable solutions only – they are made to protect users’ private keys.
- Is a backup option available? Even if you work with a reliable crypto wallet, always remember that things happen, and without a backup, you might lose your riches forever. Imagine you store your Ripple on a phone and accidentally lose it. Without having your crypto backed up, you can say goodbye to your hard-earned or hard-traded money.
Now that the stage is set, let’s get down to observing XRP storage solutions.
1. Ledger Nano S
Would you like to carry XRP like regular money? Buy a Ledger Nano S hard wallet. This device was designed to store various cryptocurrencies on its physical chip. It looks like a regular USB drive and allows for storing an unlimited amount of cryptocurrency. For fund management, a user should simply attach the device to his PC using the wire. Once the gadget synchronizes with the system, the owner’s balance will be renewed automatically.
Ledger Nano S renders all necessary options: you can control your digital money safely. Private codes are never disclosed in the Internet.
Now the bad news. Ledger Nano S costs $99, though you can purchase it for as low as $59 with the discount provided by some sellers. Is it too much for the bulletproof security of your Ripple tokens? We readily pay the banks that keep our deposits safe and secure, so a one-time payment of $99 doesn’t seem like much, especially if you handle large amounts of cryptocurrency.
This XRP depository supports several top tokens, ensuring total mobility. Initially, it was designed to serve as a mobile wallet for Android and iOS, but the Jaxx team plans to release a desktop version, too.
So, why chose Jaxx? First, its creators did their best to make an intuitive, simple menu. It's a no-brainer even for beginners and dummies. All you need is to install Jaxx on your smartphone, log in, and create a wallet. Managing crypto is as easy as 1-2-3. Secondly, Jaxx keeps users’ private codes on the device – keys are never leaked to the Internet, and no third parties can access them.
Last but not the least is 2-step authentication. Once you enable it, your client area won't be accessed without SMS confirmations.
3. Toast Wallet
Crypto newbies should consider Toast Wallet – a minimalistic and convenient open-source XRP depository. It’s available in both mobile and desktop versions, and whichever you select, you will enjoy intuitive navigation. This solution is free: it doesn’t charge you anything neither for installation nor for transactions.
Extra benefit is unbeatable security. This solution does not disclose users’ codes and is more hacker-proof than its online counterparts.
This is a Canadian website that was designed for cryptocurrency payments and online storage. It supports over 1,200 altcoins and charges only a 0.5% transaction fee (it’s imposed on commercial deposits and incoming payments). Like its counterparts, CoinPayments does not restrict its functionality by trading only – users can also make online purchases using the wallet. There’s a myriad of online shops that accept this kind of transfer.
CoinPayments is available in all countries for all users. The 0.5% fee does not change depending on the tokens and amounts. All withdrawals are free except for shopping and business transactions.
Other key advantages of this platform include:
- It’s a well-developed platform: it has over 300K partners in 180+ states. It is accepted as a means of payment in various shops.
- The BitGo altcoin security platform accelerates transaction process, making it safer and faster. Thus, CoinPayments is perfect for trading: you can sell or buy cryptocurrency instantly upon cost fluctuations.
- CoinPayments is protected by multisig technology. You can be sure that no transactions will be made without your approval.
- Initially, fiat settlements were accessible only to clients from Canada. But now CoinPayments provides this option to users from the USA and Europe as well. They can have digital money transferred into fiat and sent to their bank account.
This is not a website or application – Exarpy should rather be called an interface that facilitates XRP management. It’s a safe and fast solution that can be recommended even to dummies (it works on all devices). There’s a 0.025 XRP fee for every operation, which is quite agreeable. If privacy and anonymity are your main concerns, don’t worry: this service does not store any user information. It generates a cryptographic PIN that’s given to every user to log in. Exarpy has no limits of XRP withdrawal and transaction amount.
6. Edge Wallet
This solution is jam-packed with different features, and users mostly praise it for its simple convenient menu and high reliability. This project unites the best practices of Airbitz (its previous name) and innovative technologies to work with all types of the blockchain, so it supports the vast majority of cryptocurrencies. Using such an XRP depository means you can easily exchange digital money.
Edge Wallet is superb from a security standpoint: it has an extra level of protection and keeps users’ data safe and sound. There’s also a Spaceshift technology that enables instant cryptocurrency swaps without the use of crypto exchanges.
Edge Wallet’s main benefits are:
- It has a simple, intuitive UI that would be perfect even for beginners.
- 2-step authentication, security question, and other protection features are included.
- Works with 100+ tokens and plans to add all existing tokens.
- Supports common OS.
Edge Wallet doesn’t have a web interface. Though, if it doesn’t bother you, this would be an ideal Ripple wallet.
7. Abra wallet
This mobile app provides several essential services, such as crypto exchanges for traders from all over the globe. Abra supports over 20 crypto assets and Ripple token was added recently. Buy XRP with your fiat cryptocurrency (50 fiats available). No commission is charged for exchange operations. Besides, there are no purchase and exchange limits.
Abra is simple to use: it’s downloaded and installed on a smartphone. Beginners are able to figure out navigation principles within several minutes. There’s only one risk connected with Abra. The rumor goes that this network can discontinue any time, which means users can lose their private keys. If the company leaves them without support, they might lose their funds forever.
Today, GateHub supports only a few popular assets including XRP. Users can obtain XRP by paying their fiat money right from the bank. Purchase BTC first and convert it into any other cryptocurrency.
GateHub is officially recommended by Ripple Labs because it offers a few interesting features for users. Besides, management is a no brainer.
GateHub’s strongest points are:
- It has a simple, clear layout, so users will quickly learn the platform’s navigation. Besides, they can enjoy a detailed transaction history and email notifications. GateHub provides users with updated information about all financial operations.
- With wallet services, Ripple holders can shop online using their XRP. Many online stores and platform accept GateHub.
- GateHub provides detailed analytics of the Ripple and Bitcoin price, which enables users to sell and buy Ripple at the right time. Besides, there’s an analytics feature for users’ accounts, giving better insight into operations and crypto portfolio performance.
9. Atomic Wallet
This is a desktop app that processes three hundred assets aside from Ripple. Users can receive XRP, and there’s a possibility to exchange it via Changelly (it’s already built in). Ripple can be bought with a bank card.
Atomic has a convenient user interface that’s protected with a so-called mnemonic seed. It’s created automatically and must be stored in some safe place. Ideally, the user should store the private codes encrypted on his PC or mobile phone and avoid losing it. All common OS are supported. The mobile application to be released soon, as well.
Cryptonator can be accessed from any device: laptop, smartphone, or a computer. Among its salient features, you can find:
The possibility to exchange XRP for other crypto tokens with a very low commission.
- Advanced security features starting from SSL certificate and finishing by 2-step authentication. Users are also given one-time passwords.
- Blocking of suspicious IPs when someone attempts to access your account.
This is a decent Ripple wallet that ensures unbeatable security of your crypto assets.
This is an experimental solution built on the top of the Ripple Desktop Wallet – the team left it open sourced. You can find the code on GitHub, and if you’re a developer, you can make your own version of the wallet. Rippex can be used on Windows, OSX, and Linux.
What’s good about Rippex? It leaves users’ private keys on the computer and is safer than a usual online wallet. There are no limits on the amount of XRP that you can send or receive, and no fees are imposed. However, you should use Rippex cautiously: it’s still in beta version and something can go wrong. Developers aren’t actively involved in improving Rippex, and it’s known to still have some bugs.
This is a lightweight wallet that supports several crypto currencies and can be used in both mobile and web version, which makes it a great choice for traders who want to manage their Ripple funds on the go. Compatibility and reliability make it one of the best solutions so far.
Guarda puts clients’ privacy on a pedestal: it doesn’t store client information, private keys or transaction data. Keys are left on the user’s device and are deleted from the program once you log out. No KYC process is required, so you don’t have to waste your time on verification.
This is a versatile multi-currency platform where you can manage Ripple among eight cryptocurrencies, 20 fiat currencies, and even some precious metals. Uphold features a simple user interface, so it’s highly recommended for starters. Users’ security is guaranteed by 2-factor authentication – no one can access digital money without confirming personality. Aside from it, the Uphold team monitors the website on a 24/7 basis.
Today, Uphold is being used by crypto owners from over 180 countries, but deposit methods vary depending on the country of residence. Besides, conversion fees apply, so you should read the website policy attentively before creating Uphold wallet.
Let’s compare popular Ripple wallets side by side:
● The most secure solution so far
● Zero transaction fees
● It costs $99
● You should never lose private keys and the device itself
● Password recovery
● Exchange options
● Mobile only
● Without password recovery, you won’t be able to restore your account if you lose private keys
● Great mobile version
● Advanced security features
● Various fiat currencies are accepted
● You should keep your PC free from malware and viruses
● Requires a safe connection
● Provides information for trading
● Wallet statistics
● Instant payments
● It’s still vulnerable to cyber attacks and malware
● Quick access to XRP from a mobile device
● Backup option
● Advanced encryption
● Without a PIN and passphrase, you can miss the recovery step and lose your XRP
● The website is vulnerable to attacks
● Multisig technology for fast transactions
● Mobile version available
● Risk of hacking
● It’s integrated into PayPal, which can pose the risk of leaking information
● Fast transactions
● Low fees
● Android mobile version and Chrome extension are available
● Vulnerable to hacking
Alternative: Paper Wallets
If you want to enjoy the same level of security as hardware wallets provide, why not try a paper wallet? This is another method of cold storage that doesn’t require connection to the Internet. The easiest way to generate a paper wallet is to try the Minimalist Ripple Client. To register, you need to set your identity by entering a private key under the identity field.
The application will then generate public and private keys (the public key begins with the letter ‘R’, while the private key is shown below).
As soon as you get the keys, you should write them down on a piece of paper – this will be your only way to get access to your Ripple funds. The XRP wallet will stay offline until you send 20 XRP to the address. It’s better to send funds from some well-established exchanges like Kraken or Binance.
The security of your XRP tokens should be your primary concern. The choice of crypto wallet matters a lot, so approach this task seriously. Avoid using unpopular wallets and solutions with bad or zero reputation – there's a myriad of available solutions around, and now you know what to choose from.
If you are more of a hodler and don't need to perform regular transactions, choose a hardware wallet. Cold storage is a surefire way to have your digital assets untouched. Oppositely, active traders who want to manage their cryptocurrency on the go should pay attention to online Ripple wallets or consider some lightweight desktop solution. Whatever you need, spare a few minutes reading the user feedbacks and reviews of a preferable product – it will save you time and money down the road.